The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Homemade compost activator  (Read 41984 times)

dogscribe

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade compost activator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 09:01:16 AM »
I live in town and would like to get info on composting. Can anyone explain it to me and help me get started?? ???

The easiest way is to start small and simple - I did my first compost this year and its doing great.  Take a rubbermaid garbage bucket and poke holes in the bottom and the lid.  Then tear up some newspapers or paper grocery bag and add some fallen leaves - these will be your "browns", then add grass clippings, veggie peels - whatever - I have added coffee grounds, apple peels, banana peels, watermelon rinds etc.  Add a little dirt you have on hand, a bit of water but don't make it too mucky.  Mix it up, put the cover on and let it sit for about 2 weeks, then mix whenever you add something.

THe main thing is no meat - you don't want to attract raccoons, mice, etc and you don't want it to go rancid.

That's it - fairly easy and then as you get more comfortable you can go bigger but there's really no need to buy those expensive compost containers.

Corrine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Whoever that is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 12:20:48 AM »
I live in town and would like to get info on composting. Can anyone explain it to me and help me get started?? ???

herblady

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 12:54:17 PM »
Alfalfa will heat up your pile as well. We use rabit pellits...

dneecie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 03:54:46 PM »
I read on another message board that molassas (the kind for attracting deer) makes a good activator. We get it from the farm supply down here.  They mostly carry it in the fall.

I mix it with an equal part of fish emulsion for extra punch.

I hope it's ok for me to mention another forum. You can get more info doing a search on countrylife.org.

Hope that helps.

Kate Rothwell

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 04:29:03 PM »
On another bulletin board I read that , um, urine worked. So I had my five year old son pee in the bin and sure enough it heated up nicely. . .  ::)

tk625

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 11:08:06 PM »
I don't know about any homemade, my husband uses lime sometimes when he is turning the compost pile over.  

steve

Homemade compost activator
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 02:52:49 PM »
Hi All

I'm looking for a homemade activator for my compost pile

thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 07:27:27 PM by admin »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: