Gardening > Gardening

Homemade compost activator

(1/2) > >>

dogscribe:

--- Quote ---I live in town and would like to get info on composting. Can anyone explain it to me and help me get started?? ???
--- End quote ---

The easiest way is to start small and simple - I did my first compost this year and its doing great.  Take a rubbermaid garbage bucket and poke holes in the bottom and the lid.  Then tear up some newspapers or paper grocery bag and add some fallen leaves - these will be your "browns", then add grass clippings, veggie peels - whatever - I have added coffee grounds, apple peels, banana peels, watermelon rinds etc.  Add a little dirt you have on hand, a bit of water but don't make it too mucky.  Mix it up, put the cover on and let it sit for about 2 weeks, then mix whenever you add something.

THe main thing is no meat - you don't want to attract raccoons, mice, etc and you don't want it to go rancid.

That's it - fairly easy and then as you get more comfortable you can go bigger but there's really no need to buy those expensive compost containers.

Corrine:
I live in town and would like to get info on composting. Can anyone explain it to me and help me get started?? ???

herblady:
Alfalfa will heat up your pile as well. We use rabit pellits...

dneecie:
I read on another message board that molassas (the kind for attracting deer) makes a good activator. We get it from the farm supply down here.  They mostly carry it in the fall.

I mix it with an equal part of fish emulsion for extra punch.

I hope it's ok for me to mention another forum. You can get more info doing a search on countrylife.org.

Hope that helps.

Kate Rothwell:
On another bulletin board I read that , um, urine worked. So I had my five year old son pee in the bin and sure enough it heated up nicely. . .  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version