The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Re: storeing linen  (Read 19039 times)

Kelly Henderson

Re: storing linen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 07:43:34 AM »
My stepmom has this same problem. I would recommend washing the linens with 2 cups of white vinegar in the washing tub, every time. Also, keep a cup of baking soda in the closet to absorb any odors there. Good luck! ;)

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
Re: storeing linen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 09:45:47 AM »
If it is coming from the wood then maybe washing it down with a bleach might work.  I would use bleach let it sit a few minutes then rinse it throughly.  Then use a bleach solution and let it dry.  Then rinse it off.  Let it dry throughly and then paint the wood with mildew resitant paint.  Don't forget to do the door as well as all the walls and cupboards.  I would also do the suggestion for cleaning the sheets stated in the previous entry.  Both combined should remove the odor.
CSINBAD

kaisa

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 10:44:53 PM »
If it's a strange sour smell, it may me created by bacteria that love a bit of humidity. The only way to get rid of the smell is to kill the bacteria once and for all. You can do it either by 1) using bleach (soak for 10-20 minutes in chlorine solution (the only occasion I ever use it), 2) airing the smelly items in sunshine so the UV rays can do the job. To avoid it in the future, be sure to dry them in plenty of air, and as quickly as possible. Freezing kills dust mites, but not these miserable creatures. Good luck! Kay

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 07:03:42 PM »
Not sure what wazy means. ›Would you explain the term? ›If you mean a mold smell then there may be moisture in your walls. ›Check to see if there are any water marks or other signs. ›

Also why do you call it a an 'airing cupboard'? ›Does air come in from outside? ›If so then maybe something out there is creating the smell. ›
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 08:14:50 PM by CSinbad »
CSINBAD

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: