Utilities > Utiliities

What Do You DO to Save on Utilites?    

<< < (3/5) > >>

Eve:
During the winter I use the clothes dryer, but I set a timer for it. I have found my dryers "normal" run time is an hour, but most things are completly dry within 35 mins. A load of jeans or other heavy things of course takes a full run.

Tobster:
Change to a low flow shower head, about $6. Repays for itself the first month.

We enter our house through the garage instead of the front door in the winter. No cold wind blowing directly into our livingroom.

Heavy drapes on the north windows in the winter...great insulators!

Melina Gosselin:
~In winter I fill soda bottle with water and freeze them outside and put them in my fridge to leasen the cooling burndun. I use eight bottles. Four in the fridge and four freezing outside. I rotate every 12 hours. Also, wearing a hat inside in the winter keeps you nice and warm. I think about 75% of heat is lost through your head.

~put a timer on the hot water tank
~set an egg timer to remind yourself to get out of the shower after 3-5 minutes.
~Use the microwave when possible
~unplug all electrical appliances when not in use.
~energy ssaving lightbulbs
~fans instead of A/C

emily1067:
I have a couple tips to share:

1.  After the dishwasher is done washing open it up and let the dishes air dry.

2.  Fill up pop bottle with water and stick them in the freezer to fill in any empty spaces.  Freezers run more efficiently when full.

CSinbad:
Crock Pots are convient.  They save time and food is usually moist but they don't save electricity.  Think about it this way.  It is on for usually 8 or more hours whereas a burner is only on usually less than an hour.  So use them for great easy to prepare meals but not to save electric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version