The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: What Do You DO to Save on Utilites?      (Read 74680 times)

Janet Doherty

Re: What Do You DO to Save on Utilites? › ›
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 12:23:26 PM »
This message has been deleted by the editor.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 11:58:03 AM by admin »

Emma

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »
The refrgerator doesn't have enough time to cool down.  In fact, during the winter, the freezer accidentally got turned off all night and in the morning, everything was still frozen solid. we're only talking about the machine being off for up to 30 minutes at a time, and then on for at least anhour after it.  I have not had any food defrost yet, but my bills have been reduced!

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 01:40:21 PM »
That sounds like a real money saver but I would watch it very closely.  You don't want food spoiling so your system is not for every one.  I would be scared about potential health problems so I wouldn't consider doing that.
CSINBAD

emmalouisa2000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 11:30:27 AM »
Sometime last year, our refridgerator/freezer broke down and we temporarily fixed it by rewiring the thermostat.  the trouble was, everything froze solid, even in the fridge. To combat this, we used a wall socket timer, which switched the fridge on and off as many times as we wanted at 15 minute intervals.  well, we haven't stopped doing this since having the machine off some of the time has saved on electricity bills greatly. we need it on slightly more during the summer, but over winter, it is int he off position tonnes, and only on for about 2hours ata time!

graci42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 07:24:24 AM »
1.  Limit TV, Computer, and Video Game time (schedule) for the children.
2.  Unplug or turn appliances off with a power bar when not in use.
3.  Make coffee and use a Carafe instead of leaving the pot on (save electricity and wear and tear on the coffee maker).
4.  Use crock pot as much as possible.  This and cooking double meals -- eat half and freeze the rest.
5.  Take advantage of natural light during the day.
6.  Line dry as much as possible.
7.  When running hot water, I use a rubber made tub to catch the cold H2O until it comes to temp.  I put cold water which would have run down the drain into the washing machine or use it for watering plants, dog or cat.  It really adds up!
8.  Also use tubs when I wash dishes.  a. They hold less water than my double sink.  b. rinse water can be used in the washing machine or for flushing.
9.  Bathe every other day w/ sponge bath inbetween and am careful about water level in tub.
10.  keep spray bottle of H2O and vinigar so I can clean up small messes on floor and counters...less floor scrubbing...less water use.
11.  Use night lights to prevent accidents at night.
Just call me Graci

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 10:40:12 PM »
Recently I noticed air coming under the door so I attached clear packing tape to the the bottom part of the rubber strip. ›I then layered more tape over the first about 3 more times. ›(Make sure to hook the tape so it won't stick to the ground and tear off. ›Hook it to itself.) ›Now I have a draft dodger for about 50 cents (or less) worth of packing tape that should last quite awhile and that is nearly invisible. ›You could use duct tape but I like the idea of visitors not readily seeing my frugal draft dodger. › ›  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 10:41:43 PM by CSinbad »
CSINBAD

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 09:42:16 PM »
I turn the water heater off at night.  Use florescent bulbs and as an added bonus in the summer it isn't as hot as regular bulbs.  I cook 2 or more meals at once and keep the heat down low during the day.  At night I wear a blanket while reclining.  When I get up I move rapidly to increase blood flow thus I stay warmer and increase my metabolism.
CSINBAD

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 05:03:20 PM »
I usually air dry my clothes. I Put the rack in the bathtub after we are done showering. Until then (or if I am tired) I keep it in the bedroom hidden from view.  If I have more than 1 rack I just put both in my bedroom or out on the porch in the sun.  Once in a while I put clothes in the dryer for a few minutes to remove lint.
CSINBAD

momof9

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 02:42:05 PM »
I always spin my clothes in the washer 2-3 extra times. This gets alot of water out of them and then they dry in about half the time. It is the dryer that takes so much electricity.

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
What Do You DO to Save on Utilites?    
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 10:37:53 AM »
I know that there are a lot of ways to save money on Utilites.  Please include your ideas.  I know that will help everyone.
CSINBAD

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: