The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Cheap Shampoo Caution  (Read 42296 times)

abrama08

Re: Cheap Shampoo Caution
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
Try shampoo by Ellin Lavar. The grapeseed oil shampoo contains no detergent whatsoever . It's a personal fave. I'm have curly and unruly hair and this shampoo works miracles for me. It's about $7 but it's so worth it! ;D ~ Ashley

New_Leaf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
I have naturally curly hair. I am always complaining about my hair being just wavy in some spots and curly in others -- there's no consistancy.

My hairdresser, who is also my best friend's mother, asked me to try something for her. She asked me to STOP using shampoo. She said to just try it for a month or two as a favor to her.

What I did was wash my hair with a paste made of baking soda and water (I wrote about it on another thread) and let my hair air dry. After that -- no shampoo and no baking soda an when drying my hair I used the lowest setting on cool and only used my fingers while drying, no using a brush or comb while drying.

After a couple of days my hair looked so good! The curls were all there and they were evenly distributed.

Now, I know what you are thinking ... NO, I didn't stop washing my hair. I continued to shower just like always, but when it came to my hair, I scrubbed it just as if I had used shampoo, but I didn't use anything other than water. My hair looked great. I couldn't go a whole month without shampoo though, just because mentally, I didn't like the though of going without it.

Now I use shampoo about once every couple of weeks and I use the baking soda about once a month.

It was an interesting experiment!

emily1067

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 11:46:34 AM »
Dove is a great, inexpensive shampoo.  It's all I ever use and my boyfriend says I have the softest silkiest hair around....and I don't think he's just saying that to be nice  ;)

Emily
http://www.budgetsavvy.net for money saving tips

chea

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 08:22:36 PM »
another idea would be to wash your hair less often.  Its less drying that way.

mjwilco

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 07:00:40 PM »
There's no need to switch to a more expensive shampoo. Just choose a less abrasive detergent (by the way, all shampoos have detergents, not just cheap ones). Have a look at http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/ed_cheapskate.asp?ID=11192 for some more info. You might want to try a shampoo with TEA Lauryl Sulfate, a gentle detergent.

CSinbad

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 12:53:52 PM »
I have used vinegar once.  It seemed to strip my hair of color.  Parts of it seemed to turn gray.  It took about a month for the color to become normal.  I never dye or perm my hair (natural wave).  I do use a clarifying shampoo for build-up about every one to two months.  Instead of adding water to my new bottle of shampoo I just pour a small amount in my hand.  I prewash my hair with the end of a shampoo that I have added water to get the remainder out of the bottle.  By using that prewash I need less full strength shampoo and my hair gets really clean.  

allie_b

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 09:07:58 AM »
I buy my shampoo & conditioner at Sally's beauty supply by the gallon when it goes on sale. I put some in a regular shampoo bottle and then dilute it. it works great. I find that if I buy it in bulk like this I am not tempted by advertisements to try something new. Everyone says that shampoos stop working at sometime and you need to switch. When this happens - i rinse my hair with white vinegar- let it sit for just a minute while you are in the shower and rinse out. I use the conditioner while in the shower and keep a small spray bottle with it diluted that i use when i need additional help/ i also use it on my dogs when their long hair is particularly dry between baths. Sally's also has a silicone spray that is the best thing i have found to keep my hair from being damaged from blow drying.

When ever i get a perm my hair dries out and bleaches out. i find if i put a mixture of 1part earth brown henna to two parts neutral henna it really conditions and gives my hair a lot of body. If i do it every 4 weeks i can get by without a perm for quite a while. if you dont want to freshen your hair color you can just use the neutral. you would not beleive the body and shine it gives.

ChristyVA

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 12:18:08 PM »
I totally agree.  After years of trying cheap shampoo, being told it's just as good as anything else,  >:( I am through with it, because it makes my hair "dull and unmanageable", to quote the commercials.  My hair is thin, and I have lots of it.  My scalp tends to be dry.  I need something gentle, as well as a good conditioner to keep the static and frizzies down.  All hair is not created equal, and all shampoos are not created equal, either.

I have found, however, that often you can water the good shampoos down and get the same good results.  A solution of half water and half shampoo usually does the trick, and if in doubt, shampoo again --

An inexpensive shampoo is no bargain if it makes you ugly!

VDawson

Cheap Shampoo Caution
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 11:31:10 PM »
I read a lot of helpful hints on money-saving websites that recommend using the cheapest shampoo to wash one's hair -- that they work just fine.  Yes, they may work fine if you don't color or perm your hair!  Many years ago, I'd pay a high cost to have a professional color my hair and she'd always wonder why my hair kept losing its sheen from visit to visit until I mentioned I used Prell shampoo religiously.  She said the cheap shampoos are detergents and strip the hair of the very tinting process I was paying her to put in!  Likewise, they can also weaken the curl in permed hair.  

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: