Personal Care > Personal Care

Cheap Shampoo Caution

<< < (2/2)

CSinbad:
I have used vinegar once.  It seemed to strip my hair of color.  Parts of it seemed to turn gray.  It took about a month for the color to become normal.  I never dye or perm my hair (natural wave).  I do use a clarifying shampoo for build-up about every one to two months.  Instead of adding water to my new bottle of shampoo I just pour a small amount in my hand.  I prewash my hair with the end of a shampoo that I have added water to get the remainder out of the bottle.  By using that prewash I need less full strength shampoo and my hair gets really clean.  

allie_b:
I buy my shampoo & conditioner at Sally's beauty supply by the gallon when it goes on sale. I put some in a regular shampoo bottle and then dilute it. it works great. I find that if I buy it in bulk like this I am not tempted by advertisements to try something new. Everyone says that shampoos stop working at sometime and you need to switch. When this happens - i rinse my hair with white vinegar- let it sit for just a minute while you are in the shower and rinse out. I use the conditioner while in the shower and keep a small spray bottle with it diluted that i use when i need additional help/ i also use it on my dogs when their long hair is particularly dry between baths. Sally's also has a silicone spray that is the best thing i have found to keep my hair from being damaged from blow drying.

When ever i get a perm my hair dries out and bleaches out. i find if i put a mixture of 1part earth brown henna to two parts neutral henna it really conditions and gives my hair a lot of body. If i do it every 4 weeks i can get by without a perm for quite a while. if you dont want to freshen your hair color you can just use the neutral. you would not beleive the body and shine it gives.

ChristyVA:
I totally agree.  After years of trying cheap shampoo, being told it's just as good as anything else,  >:( I am through with it, because it makes my hair "dull and unmanageable", to quote the commercials.  My hair is thin, and I have lots of it.  My scalp tends to be dry.  I need something gentle, as well as a good conditioner to keep the static and frizzies down.  All hair is not created equal, and all shampoos are not created equal, either.

I have found, however, that often you can water the good shampoos down and get the same good results.  A solution of half water and half shampoo usually does the trick, and if in doubt, shampoo again --

An inexpensive shampoo is no bargain if it makes you ugly!

VDawson:
I read a lot of helpful hints on money-saving websites that recommend using the cheapest shampoo to wash one's hair -- that they work just fine.  Yes, they may work fine if you don't color or perm your hair!  Many years ago, I'd pay a high cost to have a professional color my hair and she'd always wonder why my hair kept losing its sheen from visit to visit until I mentioned I used Prell shampoo religiously.  She said the cheap shampoos are detergents and strip the hair of the very tinting process I was paying her to put in!  Likewise, they can also weaken the curl in permed hair.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version