The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: A "Grocery Bag" trash can  (Read 65068 times)

hanakid

• View Profile
Re: A "Grocery Bag" trash can
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 07:38:49 AM »
The regular trashcans made of plastic (i.e., Rubbermaid) have a place on each end to hook up the handles of plastic bags.  Each end has two vertical pieces which work perfectly.  Take a look  ;D
Hanakid

Not2wordy

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »
I have a couple of plastic trash cans that don't have knobs, but they do have a little handle thing  on  either side. You loop the handles of your plastic shopping bag on each one and they hold up well. I have had these several years and I believe they may have come from Wal-mart or K-mart.

For larger trash bags (Hefty bags, etc.), there are patterns that have a rectangle box made of wood, with a lid that is  square. You fold the top of the kitchen-sized Hefty bag over the top of the box and then set the lid on it to hold it on the box. The lid has a door that swings up, so you can deposit garbage in it without taking off the  part that holds the bag. When the bag is full, then you can remove the whole thing and take the bag to the curb or dumpster. I bought mine from a crafts market but I know there is a woodworking pattern for this thing floating around somewhere. I can't use it in my present tiny apartment but I've used this thing in my houses and there is never a problem with insects or odor if you take the trash out once or twice a week.

Razzy

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
I thought I saw them in the lilian vernon catalog on line.

Raz

blondie29697

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 11:24:49 PM »
Hi:
 I f you can't find the special can to hold the grocery bags, you can use an idea I use, the waist band from a pair of pantyhose. You cut it off an old pair of pantyhose, and put it around the top of the trash can once you pull the grocery bag over the edge of the can. It is reusable since it is on the outside of the can and doesn't get dirty!

anniemawee

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2003, 02:42:30 PM »
I have also seen them at good old WalMart.  I have had mine for 3 years and its great!  Holds up to lots.  Only problem was it was white, and after lots of use it started to look pretty sad.  So, I spray painted it with that new Fusion paint by Krylon.  I had it and a few flowerpots I wanted to keep but the colors didn't work, I bought one can and went to town.  All came out great, now everything is the color I want and it was like $3.00 for the can of paint.  ;D Sure beat replacing everything else!

Matthew Drollinger

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 12:23:56 AM »
Since I moved away from my parents and into my apartment a few years ago I've been using one of those large popcorn tins (the kind you see around Christmas time) as my garbage can.  It fits very nicely under my sink where nobody can see it, and those plastic grocery store bags fit perfectly inside.  Also, since such popcorn tins come in a variety of designs, you can probably find one that blends in with your home decor. ;D

PanAm49

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2003, 03:16:04 AM »
Over the years I've never been able to use a "swing top" type of garbage can in the kitchen because of ants.

So I've managed kitchen trash by using a very large plastic  icecream container (about 5L) and using the plastic bags from shopping. The container fits nicely under the sink and I've never had any trouble with flies or insects.

The rubbish is easily disposed of by taking out the plastic bag and tieing up the handles, and depositing in the garbage bin outside.

I've been doing this for over 20 years.  Only expense was the icec ream!  Naturally I've gone through more than one container in 20 years, but it's amazing how long they last.

monimoo

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2003, 06:00:50 PM »
 :) Thanks to everyone writing in with tips & advice on my "grocery bag trash can" quest. I like the ideas of using clothespins, large clamps & thick rubberbands to hold the bags up in the can. Even just finding the right size can where the bag can stretch out enough to form a tight fit is a sensible idea! However, I still long for the can with the "knobs" because they keep the bag upright & hold up under a fair amount of stress from heavy trash (short of the grocery bag itself breaking because of too much weight). They are also handy when you're ready to take the trash out--just lift the grocery bag handles up & away you go. I will check out Lowe's & then Harriet Carter's as previously suggested. Thank you all very much!

Gette

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2003, 03:54:35 PM »
I've had good luck with various sizes of bags and cans using a great big rubber band to hold the bag over the rim of the can.  One that's a little wider works greatfor gripping.

refuge821

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2003, 10:11:19 AM »
I use my plastic grocery bags with a trash can that we bought at wal-mart.  Take a bag with you and you'll find one that you can stretch the bags to fit.  They never slip down since that little extra "stretch" makes them snug.  Like one of the other posts, I like have the "safety net" can beneath it for those leaks because although we try to make sure there isn't a hole in the bag, there always is now and then.

monimoo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2003, 09:29:21 PM »
 :) Thank you's also extended to "sewsmith" & "whansber"...what a great community of assistance here at frugal life! Thank you also to the author of our latest newsletter--I think that I'm getting such great responses because my post was included in it!

whansber

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2003, 06:51:17 PM »
I bought mine through one of those mail order catologs that have misc household stuff in them.  But you could in the meantime take a regular small can and use clips on the sides ..like the big paperclamps, clothespins etc to hood the bags onto.  2 clips on each side.

sewsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2003, 05:13:47 AM »
I have also purchased them from Starcrest of California for about $5.  I like these as they are a trash can with the knobs, so if a bag leaks, it's contained.  I had one that just held the handles and didn't like it because of this.

monimoo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2003, 12:42:07 AM »
 :) THANK YOU, THANK YOU "InAlabama"!! There is a Lowe's not too far from where I live so I will check them out first, & if they don't have one then I'll have Harriet Carter to fall back on! Good 'ole Harriet Carter! Never thought that one day I'd actually order something from them! Thanks a zillion! :)

InAlabama

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2003, 09:49:16 PM »
 :)
Right after I left my last post, I picked up a Harriet Carter catalog and right there on pg. 67 is the bag wastebasket.  You can get it at www.harrietcarter.com by searching for "grocery bag wastebasket"

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: