The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Armadillo war!  (Read 16509 times)

refuge821

• God Member Plus
  • God Member
  • Fantastically Frugal
    • View Profile
    • The Nature In Us
Re: Armadillo war!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »
We have had armadillos and didn't find them to be a problem.  They eat grubs which turn into insects that destroy our plants, so we've considered them a free, non-toxic pesticide control team.  We've had problems with Japanese Beetles and they come from grubs so anything that eats grubs would be welcome .... although you are most likely experiencing some other type of destruction to be so concerned.

HSUS has a wildlife division that has some great ideas on nuisance wildlife, as does ASPCA.  Have you checked out those sites?  Here's the link to the one I use most:  www.hsus.org/wildlife/

The Nature In Us
www.thenatureinus.com
Nature & Travel Photos
donnawatkins.smugmug.com

amcs1164

• View Profile
Armadillo war!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:37:30 PM »
Hi,  I'm new here and hope to find some new ideas to try. We have been battling armadillos for 2 years now, and I fear they are winning.  I'll briefly go into what we have tried.  Spraying the yard for the grubs they are after, that has slowed them a little in the immediate area around the house.  We can't afford to treat the entire property.  We have set live traps using over ripe banana and caught 3 last year, but none this year.  The three I caught last year were caught at the entrance to their den (or whatever they call the tunnel they dig to live in).   We have searched for the dens this year and haven't had one bit of luck when we have set the traps there.  If anyone has had any success with other methods or bait, I would really appreciate any info you care to share.  I am about at my wits end.  Thanks in advance.   :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: