Recycle > Recycle/Reuse

FIRE STARTERS ... for wood or camp fires, BBQ's

(1/2) > >>

To make fire starters, mix turpentine with a batch of sawdust and pack inside a 20 ga. shotgun hull. Slide a 12 ga hull over the 20 ga. and dip in melted wax to seal. These can be carried in your pocket and they will stay "fresh" for years. To use, simply empty part of the contents and presto, a hot fire!

On days when you can not hang your laundry, dryer lint is a WONDERFUL fire starter. It is one of the most flammable things in our homes. Adding it in the great egg carton recipe or in the tubes and it is almost as good as fat lighter. :)

My husband and I found a good way to start fires in our wood burning furnace.  I made pillars for my daughter's wedding out of pizza boxes and carpet tubes.  (another recycling story).  Well, I had some carpet tube remnants left over.  My husband was just going to burn them in the trash pile, and I suggested he use them to start fires in the wood stove.  They work great.  He lays a couple sections in the stove, with some wadded newspaper.  He used to buy the compressed firestarters in the store.  I asked him, "Isn't cardboard just a compressed wood product?"  So now that's all he uses, and the tubes are free.  We called our local carpet seller, and they recycle them anyway, so we take them and cut them to size.

Dried (used) coffee grounds can also be added. I just lift the filter right out of the basket and dry them as is. The roll them into cigar shapes.

We used to gather pine cones on our camping trips, then dip them in wax & use them as firestarters next time we went. Good for gifts, too, if you use scented wax.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version