Cleaning > Cleaning

Cat Urine/Spray

(1/2) > >>

Germanshedder:
The Mythbusters addressed this method in a program a few years ago. I tried it, modified it and it WORKS!  They suggested using hydrogen perodide mixed with baking soda in some hot water with a touch of detergent. Wash floors with it and it is supposed to removed even skunk odor.  I decided to use some oxyclean instead of the peroxide. It is cheaper and makes more if you buy to Baking soda in a four pound bag.  When I mix this up and washed cat and dog urine odor.. it was wonder full

oyevey:
Try soaking mattress with white vinager and leaving in sun to dry?  I agree with the poster who said get a plastic sheet cover to protect the bed.

Maybe put a litter box in the bedroom for her to use rather than the bed?  Make sure it is always clean for her?  

Petco/Petsmart sell natural pet deterrants made from things like bitter apple that may keep her off the bed and won't smell.  

--- Quote --- :( I also have a problem with cat urine.  I have never dealt with this before so I'm looking for some helpful tips.  I took in a stray cat this winter and she has been urinating in her litter box as well as on the blankets/bedding and the mattress and carpets in my guest room.  I was told she was too old and weak to get spayed b/c I thought maybe it had to do with her being in heat.  I have noticed that when the litterbox isn't clean enough she will use the bed instead or if she is aggrivated by my other cat she'll use her blankets etc.  I'm looking for a way to remove the odor mostly from the mattress.  I have been able to remove the smell from the bedding and carpets using something called trizyme which is a detergent booster.  With the mattress though it soaks in.  I started with a solution of the trizyme and covered the mattress where it was soiled with the solution, let it sit and then used my carpet cleaner to apples the water up.  It still smells and I was wondering what my best bet would be as far as house hold remedys and how to deterr her from using the bed.
--- End quote ---

oyevey:
First, please do not put cayenne pepper down.  That is cruel and inhumane - the cat will get it in its eyes and cats have been known to scratch their own eyes out.

Second. Pour white vinager on the spot and let dry.  Repeat often.  Then seal the area with kiltz and paint over it.

Third, go to the pet store and get some HUMANE pet deterants.  

RobinS:
I would suggest replacing the mattress and buying a waterproof cover that can be washed when it happens so that the mattress doesnt get damaged again.  I don't see how you could get it out of a deep mattress.

rossbachl:
 :( I also have a problem with cat urine.  I have never dealt with this before so I'm looking for some helpful tips.  I took in a stray cat this winter and she has been urinating in her litter box as well as on the blankets/bedding and the mattress and carpets in my guest room.  I was told she was too old and weak to get spayed b/c I thought maybe it had to do with her being in heat.  I have noticed that when the litterbox isn't clean enough she will use the bed instead or if she is aggrivated by my other cat she'll use her blankets etc.  I'm looking for a way to remove the odor mostly from the mattress.  I have been able to remove the smell from the bedding and carpets using something called trizyme which is a detergent booster.  With the mattress though it soaks in.  I started with a solution of the trizyme and covered the mattress where it was soiled with the solution, let it sit and then used my carpet cleaner to apples the water up.  It still smells and I was wondering what my best bet would be as far as house hold remedys and how to deterr her from using the bed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version