The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning old cloth  (Read 19074 times)

emily1067

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning old cloth
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 11:37:46 AM »
Before you use Oxyclean be sure to test the material first on an inconspicuous spot.  I ruined some fabric last year with Oxyclean because I didn't test it first.
Emily
http://www.budgetsavvy.net for money saving tips

trudyu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 04:29:58 PM »
I found that oxiclean took the stains out of some vintage pillow cases I had stored in a closet.  Because I was concerned about the age of the fabric and the handmade lace I was careful to not use really warm water. Everything came out really well.

frasure

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 06:43:21 PM »
Brown spots on old fabric is usually caused by it coming in contact with paper or wood, which is acidic.  As a quilter, I have heard that spots can be successfully removed from washable fabric by soaking in Oxyclean.  A good way to store fabric items is in a pillowcase, never in plastic bags or in a gift box or cedar chest.  Hope this helps.
Kate
kate

Lillian Leyenaar

Cleaning old cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 10:44:25 AM »
I would like ideas on how to get brown spots out of OLD material--like tablecloths, linens, antique samplers, ring-bearer pillow from 32 years ago, etc.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: