The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/cooking  (Read 17139 times)

jeanine

Re: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/coo
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
YES! Try the baking soda.  I use this on my area rugs to get out dog fur smells and it is very effective.

This is how I do it:

Fill a spray bottle with half water/half white vinegar.  LIGHTLY spray carpet and dust with baking soda (it is often cheaper to buy in bulk at your local natural food store).  Let sit for a few hours (the baking soda will absorb the vinegar and then dry). Vacuum.  Repeat if necessary.

RobinS

Re: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/coo
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
If you have carpet, I would suggest baking soda mixed with an essential oil like lavender.  Sprinkle liberally and let is sit maybe overnight before vacuuming up?  Here is a link to lavender:

http://www.mynsp.com/shopsunshine/products/guide.aspx?stockNum=3907

You could mix a few drops with a box of baking soda in a shaker and shake liberally.

Also, I have found that coffee sitting out helps absorb odors.  You may want to consider washing down all washable surfaces with vinegar water.

I wonder if the ceilings need to be washed with vinegar water as well?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:04:16 AM by RobinS »

Holland

Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:46:07 AM »
HI all....
Any hints or suggestions......for curry/cooking smells that have set in? Just bought an older condo....have had cleaned it extensively and it is better but still lingering. Thanks.....

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: