The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/cooking  (Read 16550 times)

jeanine

Re: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/coo
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
YES! Try the baking soda.  I use this on my area rugs to get out dog fur smells and it is very effective.

This is how I do it:

Fill a spray bottle with half water/half white vinegar.  LIGHTLY spray carpet and dust with baking soda (it is often cheaper to buy in bulk at your local natural food store).  Let sit for a few hours (the baking soda will absorb the vinegar and then dry). Vacuum.  Repeat if necessary.

RobinS

Re: Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/coo
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
If you have carpet, I would suggest baking soda mixed with an essential oil like lavender.  Sprinkle liberally and let is sit maybe overnight before vacuuming up?  Here is a link to lavender:

http://www.mynsp.com/shopsunshine/products/guide.aspx?stockNum=3907

You could mix a few drops with a box of baking soda in a shaker and shake liberally.

Also, I have found that coffee sitting out helps absorb odors.  You may want to consider washing down all washable surfaces with vinegar water.

I wonder if the ceilings need to be washed with vinegar water as well?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:04:16 AM by RobinS »

Holland

Just bought older condo.....smell of curry/cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:46:07 AM »
HI all....
Any hints or suggestions......for curry/cooking smells that have set in? Just bought an older condo....have had cleaned it extensively and it is better but still lingering. Thanks.....

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: