The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Yummy pet treats  (Read 13564 times)

U2MOMMA

• Practice random acts of kindness...
    • View Profile
Yummy pet treats
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »
With the recent pet food recall, I've taken to making my own pet treats for my dogs and cats.  I've found them to be a treat that will bring an inattentive dog into the house and provide nutrition for a cat nursing kittens.

I use 3-1/2 to 4 cups of their regular dry food (dog or cat). I then add a handful of brewers yeast and garlic tablets and blend the ingredients in a blender until fine. I pour that into a large mixing bowl.

I then dump a container of chicken livers (I buy the manager's specials at the grocery store for half of the regular price - extras freeze well) and 3 eggs into the blender and puree.

I pour that mixture into the ground dry food and mix well.  After allowing the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes, I spoon it into a baking dish which has been sprayed or greased and press the mixture into the pan.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350.

I cut the "brownies" into small sizes.  The dogs/cats readily eat them, I know the treats they are eating are healthy and safe, and I spend a fraction for these treats than I do for those I purchase in the store.

Store the treats in a plastic bag and refrigerate.  They also freeze well and the frozen treats sooth the gums of teething pups, as well as providing all of the pets with a cool summer treat.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: