The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Older dogs with knee arthritis  (Read 30740 times)

bbbek

Re: Older dogs with knee arthritis
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
Personally, I would get a second opinion from another vet. Preferably an orthopedic speapplest. Food and supplements aren't going to help much. Kind of like aspirin for a broken leg. All they do is put a big dent in your pocket. I'm not a vet, but I have worked as a vet tech and rescue Bloodhounds.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:21:15 PM by bbbek »

RobinS

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
What do you have to say about Rimadyl?  I have read all the stories about liver and kidney failure but I wonder if the pain free life for my dog is worth the risk.

Barbara

I'm not a vet, but from personal experience with my Mother's dog....I would avoid drugs until there was nothing else herbally/naturally that could be done to alleviate the pain.  I would go with a grain free diet and supplements to support joint health first.  

hanakid

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »
What do you have to say about Rimadyl?  I have read all the stories about liver and kidney failure but I wonder if the pain free life for my dog is worth the risk.

Barbara

RobinS

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
You could do a home cooked diet that is higher in protein and lower in carbs. I am also going to recommend Agility supplement.  Here is a link:  
http://www.banditsbuddies.com/joint-health.shtml

Edited 3/27/08 - How about you switch to a high quality kibble such as Healthy Pet Net's Life Abundance or Flint River Ranch for 6 months, see how things go with the supplements you are using and see if there is improvement?  Sometimes just a switch to a higher quality food, you could even add in an egg a week for extra protein.  What food are you currently feeding?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:43:31 AM by RobinS »

hanakid

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:30:27 PM »
I am sorry for my delay in replying.  My question now is how do I feed her without any grain?

RobinS

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 04:23:36 AM »
EFA's essential fatty acids.  Sounds like you have a good supplement program in place.  How about a grain free diet?  Grains really aggravate inflammation and dogs often do much better with no grains in their diet when they have arthritis.  Keeping your dog at a good weight to ease the joints too.

hanakid

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  My vet has said it is arthritis. I am presently giving her fish oil and flax seed oil, along with Cosequin (glucosamine and condrotin) and MSM. What else do yo recommend?  What are EFAs?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:55:23 AM by hanakid »

RobinS

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
You probably would want to get a diagnosis from your vet to confirm what the issue is....it could be anything from arthritis to a torn ligament or any number of things.  If it is arthritis, you could use some good supplements and add EFA's and definitely Omega 3's.

hanakid

Older dogs with knee arthritis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:47:34 PM »
I have a 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier with a collapsing right knee which I presume is from arthritis.  Has anyone had any experience with this and is there a solution or at least a way to lessen the "collapsing."

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: