Cooking > Cooking Tips

BELOVED IRON SKILLET

(1/2) > >>

Stonylady1:
Cast iron is all I use in my kitchen - I've been using it for thirty-plus years and in spite of the heft of some of the larger pieces, I would never give it up!     Yes, Carl, I have been told by many traditional users that the proper way to dry cast iron is on the stovetop until all dampness is gone.  In addition to that, it's a good idea to wipe the cooking surface with a light skim coat of veggie oil,  just enough for a sheen,  while the pan is hot.    This not only protects the pan from any moisture that may creep into the pan storage area later,  it also creates a fairly non-stick surface after repeated oilings.   My only hope is that  I will still be able to lift the darn things when I'm in my 80's!     

CarlBielenberg77:
I've always been taught the proper way to dry water off a cast-iron skillet is to heat up the wet pan on the stove so the water steams off.

Does anyone else do this?   

themelclub:
I think these pieces of cast iron are wonderful! I had never owned these until recently. My daughter has been buying me pieces at garage sales & at swap meets. I know they are heavy, but they really cant be beat! Recently, I bought a 5 or 6 Qt. enameled cast iron stock-pot at Wal-mart. I bought it for the color & also for the price. I couldnt afford one of those 200 dollar ones! I cant believe how fast it cooks. It seems silly to me, but it boils a lot faster than my expensive stainless steel pots! I was able to make homemade split pea soup in less than 2 hours! And, you know how long it takes to make that! I think we should all re-think pots & pans and their cost! And, their effectiveness! Maybe there was a reason women always used cast iron!? And, in time, if the pots get too heavy, maybe someone else should be lifting these for us!   ;)

RobinS:
I have the iron skillet that was my Grandmothers...I imagine it is at least 60 years old....it's a real beauty.  The only thing I cook in it is cornbread...we are vegetarians, so I never found a lot of use for it...but it sure does mean the world to me.

vlozano:
I totally agree with you! I do love my Cast Iron - I only wish I still had the strength in my "upper" years to lift it like I used to be able to, especially filled with food.  Don't toss out those other lightweight pans just yet. Keep a couple around for the day when... V

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version