The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothing  (Read 94303 times)

DebbyAnn

Re: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothing
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 12:07:43 AM »
You can also wash clothes in 1/2 cup vinegar
along with detergent for first wash to set colors.
I've heard some folks say they use 1/2 cup salt too.
Debby

CJ Parson

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 11:11:35 PM »
I actually got this tip off this site under the subject "Getting Pink out of a Black and White Sweater" and it worked like a charm. ;) I accidentally threw my sons white shirt with a red collar in with the regular white load with bleach. The color from the collar bled all over the shirt. I was sooo mad!  >:( It was not a cheap shirt. So I let the shirt soak in a plastic tub with some cold water and some dishwashing detergent. (cascade, electrosol, etc.) I left it for about a day and the shirt came out perfectly white. And the best part is, it didnt fade the red collar at all like dye removers can. I highly recommend this and would like to give a big thanks to the wonderful person who first posted this suggestion. You saved me.

trudyu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 02:49:07 PM »
I haven't tried this but... I've seen those cloths that are sold in the stores that are supposed to take unwanted color out of laundry. I think you throw them in with each load to start with. It would seem that it would work as long as the clothes remain wet. I'm thinking of getting a couple when I see them on sale for just such a disaster.

Rimatash

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 07:21:07 AM »
Bleeding of Colors:  :(  First off, DON'T DRY THEM! Wash again with regular detergent and color-safe bleach. If that didn't work, the makers of clothes dye, makes a color remover that works wonders and doesn't cost much.   Also added by the author was that she uses that oxygen cleaner to prevent the bleeding in the first place; apparently 1 scoop/load and with every wash.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 06:26:53 PM »
Just a word of warning -- the color removers REALLY remove the color from clothing. I turned a whole load of good clothes light blue after washing them with a navy sweater.  I soaked them, rewashed them, and finally used the color remover. The problem was the color remover removed all the color from EVERYTHING and now the clothes are all a dusky gray. Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and make do. I imagine lots of men and boys are wearing light pink undies -- I know the guys around here are!  :D

ruth aldridge

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 04:31:34 PM »
Rit Dye Company has a product for getting colors out before you dye.  This might work.  Good luck 8)

katie_kary

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Getting Red Dye Out of Clothing
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 11:51:33 AM »
I recently washed my husbands favorite shirts with a red cotton sweater.  Needless to say everything has turned pink and red.  I haven't dried these clothes yet, they are still soaking in plain water in my washer.  I really need to know how to get the red dye out of these clothes or I might be on my way to divorce court.  Can anyone help me  :'(

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: