The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap  (Read 12130 times)

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Laundry Soap
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
Hi: How did your laundry detergent turn out and how much did you put in a wash load? I made my own about a month ago and it didn't work very well. The recipe called for half of everything you put into yours except for no Oxyclean and 1 Fels Naptha soap instead of Lever. And it also said use 5 gals of water.  THEN after 24 hrs you were suppose to fill a empty detergent bottle half way with water and half with mixture and shake. Use 1/2 cup p/load in top loading machine. I still could not get a fragrant smell to the wash load even after putting orange essential oil in. We have very soft water here too so that is no problem. I'm interested in trying yours.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:09:49 AM by khathleen »

• View Profile
Homemade Laundry Soap
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
We spend a fortune on laundry soap and come to find out you don't even need as much as it says. When we got our water softener put in a few weeks ago they told us we could use even less than we were before  I am going to make my own laundry soap now and use less of it and save a ton! I think I might add some fresh lavender to my mix to give a natural but fragrant sent.

This is the recipe I found:
2 Bars of Lever Soap
1 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team)
1 cup Oxyclean
2 cups of Washing Soda (Arm & Hammer)
5 gallon bucket with lid

Shred the bars of soap. Boil 8 cups of water after water is boiling slowly add soap. Reduce heat and stir until soap has dissolved, continue stirring for about 5 minutes.

Put 3 gallons of water in bucket, add borax, washing soda and Oxyclean. Add soapy hot water to bucket and stir. Cover and let sit for 24 hours
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:49:55 PM by angdeer »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: