The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Razors  (Read 21366 times)

boogles5

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Razors
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »
This isn't on the subject of razors, but about shaving cream:  I've often been guilty of buying conditioners that just do wacky things to my hair, like leave it too dry, or whatever the case, and then I have no idea what to do with them.  And, a couple months ago I switched to entirely paraben-free body lotions, so I literally have a bathroom cabinet full of:  shaving cream!  You can use lotion or conditioner as shaving cream and, in fact, in my latest in-shower experiment, the leg I shaved with an old bottle of Dove bronzing lotion had fewer nicks than the one to which I applied traditional shaving gel.  
Sometimes you'll even get a better 'price per unit' if you buy a huge bottle of lotion or conditioner that is really, really marked down at somewhere like Big Lots.  

boogles5

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 02:03:30 PM »
I used to always toss away the plastic safety covers that are on razors, but I eventually realized they really do prolong the life of the razor, probably by keeping moisture and/or bacteria off the blades between shaves.

Environmental note:  I know that Gilette multi-packs are a lot cheaper than Venus or Soleil razors with replaceable blades, but I really believe in being able to buy blade replacements.  Also, the brand Preserve, sold at Whole Foods, mades recylable razors -- you just snap off the blade and recycle the handle.  And, of course, you can buy blade replacements -- in fact they just came out with a triple blade razor.  

emily1067

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:47:37 AM »
This sounds a little wierd, but putting the razor in a little cup of vegetable oil between uses will prolong its life.
Emily
http://www.budgetsavvy.net for money saving tips

rustypatch

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 09:35:15 AM »
Ok I'm gonna answer my own post !!!! I have been reading some other web sites and one that i have found is drying your blade after every use. I sort of tapped it to get the excess water off and that was it. It does seem to prolong but not a whole lot but some is better then none. Also have heard that if cool water is used instead of hot it helps also.

rustypatch

Razors
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 04:38:47 PM »
Any of you have any tips on prolonging the life of a razor blade??? Seems like I buy lots of them and wondered if anyone had any tricks they could share.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: