The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Healthy breakfasts  (Read 34736 times)

janniwanni54

• View Profile
Re: Healthy breakfasts
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
Why not try a variety of smoothies?  You can add different ingredients such as your choice of fruit, milk or yogurt.  Add a few ice cubes in the blender to thicken it up, or just use frozen fruit instead of ice.

Zelda

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 07:07:56 PM »
I buy bags of ripe bananas - mash well and freeze in Silpat muffin forms.  each muffin is 1/2 cup which can be added to pancakes and smoothies.

CSinbad

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 08:26:05 PM »
You can make and freeze pancakes.  Add strawberry or other jams as the topping.  Honey also works as well as regular (low fat and sugar) syrup.  Eggs can be made in a variety of ways.  Waffles can be made and frozen also.

DonnaTMann

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 02:53:55 PM »
Here are some food ideas. Remeber they are wanting to choose what they do and eat and wear at this age. So feeding can be a challange. I found my kids to have eating troubles most of their preschool life. It changes in grade school!! Good Luck  ::) DonnaTMann~~

Healthy snack choices include:-

Fruit- apple, orange, satsuma, kiwi fruit, banana, pear, grapes, dried fruit such as apricots, sultanas and raisins

Yogurt- natural, fruit and yogurt drinks. Fromage frais. There are many desserts in the dairy section of the fridge in supermarkets. You should not confuse desserts with yogurts

Breakfast cereal with milk is a good snack at any time of the day

Cheese on crackers. Cubes of cheese or cheese sticks or cheese strings

Biscuits, bread and butter, toast and jam, rice cakes, muffin

Fruit or plain scone, madeira buns

Custard, creamed rice pudding, ice cream

Homemade popcorn. Homemade popcorn won't have any salt.

Lillith_Vee

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 06:57:23 AM »
You don't have to limit your ideas to "breakfast" foods.  People around the world eat all sorts of different foods for breakfast, so try keeping an open mind.

One that kids really like is a peanut butter-and-banana sandwich.  You can also try the old PB&J.  Either way, use a thin layer of peanut butter and/or buy the reduced fat kind if you're worried about fat content.

Fruit salad and a lowfat glass of milk make a great start for the day.  Just take a look at the things your child eats during the rest of the day, and use them for breakfast!

Connie katusak

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 01:02:56 PM »
Use day old bread (french works better) :) to make french toast.  Cut fun shapes with a cookie cutter before frying or baking. I like to bake because it's healthier.  You can make ahead and freeze on a cookie sheet then just pop in the toaster.

Connie Katusak

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:31:20 PM »
To the person who wanted inexpensive breakfast recipees for a three year old:

Amanda Tulloch

Healthy breakfasts
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 03:30:42 AM »
Does anyone have good ideas for cheap healthy breakfasts (aside from oatmeal, cold cereal, or toast)? These need to be low fat and preferably vegetarian! My three year old has "gone off" oatmeal at the moment, and I want to add a bit more variety to the morning.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: