Cooking > Cooking Tips

Bulk Cooking

(1/3) > >>

bkmom:
This looks like an old post, but I'm just now reading it.  I wrote a post for my blog about bulk cooking a few months ago.  This one deals with cooking ground beef.  You can read it here: http://deidrasheart.blogspot.com/2008/10/freezer-cooking-ground-beef.html

themelclub:
I think this goes along with "bulk cooking"!? When you do buy that upright freezer, to put all of your food in, make sure that it is NOT a "frost free" one! Most people make this mistake! It will dry up EVERYTHING and you will have "frost bite" and will have to throw a lot of food away! And, it runs all of the time. It defrosts itself with a heater! The new freezers dont build up ice the way that they used to do. I think that is because of the super insullation. I dont have to defrost it but once a year & sometimes not even then! And, you can keep bread in them for 6 months!

jennyleehicks:
I do alot of bulk cooking with a larger family. I buy the family packs of meat and use the griddle. it all gets cooked at once or bake it on a big cookie pan. While the meat is cooking I make some mashed potatoes(instant of course), and then microwave some veggies, i buy the steam fresf from the frozen food section at the store and i cook 3 at a time. then if you have a save alot around they have some rools in the bread area that you just brown. It is a whole meal in less than 40 mins

Nell:

--- Quote ---Hi,

If potatoes don't freeze well, why is it that there are so many kinds of pre-prepared, frozen potatoes that you can buy?  I'm thinking of french fries, that kind of thing?  The reason I ask is that since I live in a humid climate, I end up having potatoes go bad fairly quickly, so I can't buy them in a large bag.

Any suggestions?

Di
--- End quote ---

Raw potatoes tend to fall to pieces when they thaw out, but cooked ones have had their structure altered with cooking so don't - try boiling and mashing them before freezing (which is basically what happens to pre-prepared shop-bought potato products)

jeanine:
Potatoes don't always freeze well, but I have had success with a couple of methods. This one is taken from the 30-day Freezer Gourmet for make-ahead mashed potatoes.

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

5 lb bag of potatoes
4 oz. light cream cheese
2 T. butter
1 egg
Paprika, to taste

Peel and dice potatoes and cook until fork tender.  Mash in a bowl with cream cheese, butter and egg.  Spread mixture into two 8x8 baking dishes and sprinkle with paprika (I line the pans with waxed paper, freeze until solid and then pull the frozen potato casserole out and wrap in heavy duty foil - then I don't have my pans hiding in my freezer somewhere and the packets are ready to unwrap into my pan when I'm ready to re-heat).

Defrost in fridge. Cook at 350 for about 35 minutes or until heated through.  

I've also had a lot of luck freezing soups with pureed potatoes, so long as the soup has another main ingredient like cheese or broccoli.  Unfortunately, potatoes seems to need some fat to store well in the freezer, so these are not the healthiest options.

Hope this helps!  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version