Skip to content
Home » Topics » Homemade shake and bake recipe

Homemade shake and bake recipe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    imported_MissSuzy
    Participant

Shake and bake coating mix is handy but way too expensive for what it is.  The other night, I made my own and it worked beautifully!  Measurements are approximate and spices can be adjusted or substituted as desired.  (I made this batch for chicken…when I try it for pork chops, I’ll use finer bread crumbs and more sage.)

Shake Mix for Baked Chicken

1 cup bread crumbs
      1/8 cup flour
      3/4 tsp. garlic powder
      3/4 tsp. paprika
      1 tablespoon parsley flakes
      1/2 tsp. each sage, thyme, poultry seasoning, celery salt
      1/2 tsp. pepper (next time I’ll use a pinch of cayenne, too)

Place all ingredients into a sturdy plastic bag and shake.  Wet chicken pieces, place in bag and coat, shaking off excess crumbs.  Place on baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes (depending on how much chicken you’re using, increase bake time accordingly).

I plan to make big batches and store in mason jars.  

imported_goat21
      Participant

I got a recipe out of “The Tightwad Gazette” years ago and always use it for pork chops.  It’s much better than “store-bought.”  I’ve never used it on chicken, though (I don’t know why).

Recipe as follows:

4 C. flour
        4 C. ground saltines
        4 tablespoons salt (I omit the salt since the saltines have salt on them)
        2 tablespoons sugar
        2 teaspoons garlic powder
        3 tablespoons paprika
        1.4 C. vegetable oil

Mix ingredients well and store indefinitely in the refrigerator.

I halve the recipe just because it’s a little easier to manage.

Janis

imported_themelclub
        Participant

Why do these things always cost so much to buy & are so cheap to make? Plus, they never taste as fresh & good as the homemade version! And, you can control the salt! If you look on the ingredient list, the major thing will be salt. Thank you very much, I can add my own salt, for a fraction of the money!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.