The Nature In Us
Our Photo Gallery
Silver Shield Aqua Sol
Boomerang Air Sanitizer
The Herbs Place Health News

Tax Deduction for "Vacation Home"
The Frugal Life Forum
October 20, 2014, 05:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tax Deduction for "Vacation Home"  (Read 15943 times)

Travel Guy

• View Profile
Re: Tax Deduction for "Vacation Home"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »

If you use the dwelling unit for both rental and personal purposes, you generally must divide your total expenses between the rental use and the personal use based on the number of days used for each purpose. However, you will not be able to deduct your rental expense in excess of the gross rental income limitation (your gross rental income less the rental portion of mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and casualty losses, and rental expenses like realtorsí fees and advertising costs).

For more details, see www.taxhelpadvisor.com/income/renting-residential-and-vacation-property/

Raykirk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »

From my understanding, a "vacation" home can be claimed as a deduction on your Federal Taxes and it doesn't have to be a "home".  It can be a camp, camper, lot used to vaction, etc.  It can also be "rented" at least 15 days out of the year, and used for personal use at least 1 day out of the year, to claim other deductions, maintenance & depreciations.  Any one have anymore info on this? Might be worth looking into to save some big bucks next year for "frugals" like myself.  Mc39576

I certainly agree with you. It was also my explanation in vacation home. However, we need to ask first the accountant for this.

CSinbad

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »

Ask an acountant or call IRS and ask where that information is in their tax book.  I think you can use repairs and depreciation on your taxes but I would read up on it to be sure.
CSINBAD

mc39576

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Tax Deduction for "Vacation Home"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »

From my understanding, a "vacation" home can be claimed as a deduction on your Federal Taxes and it doesn't have to be a "home".  It can be a camp, camper, lot used to vaction, etc.  It can also be "rented" at least 15 days out of the year, and used for personal use at least 1 day out of the year, to claim other deductions, maintenance & depreciations.  Any one have anymore info on this? Might be worth looking into to save some big bucks next year for "frugals" like myself.  Mc39576
Pages: [1]

+ Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.
Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Name of site? Hint: thefrugalli*e: