The Frugal Life Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning old cloth  (Read 19808 times)

emily1067

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning old cloth
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 11:37:46 AM »
Before you use Oxyclean be sure to test the material first on an inconspicuous spot.  I ruined some fabric last year with Oxyclean because I didn't test it first.
Emily
http://www.budgetsavvy.net for money saving tips

trudyu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 04:29:58 PM »
I found that oxiclean took the stains out of some vintage pillow cases I had stored in a closet.  Because I was concerned about the age of the fabric and the handmade lace I was careful to not use really warm water. Everything came out really well.

frasure

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 06:43:21 PM »
Brown spots on old fabric is usually caused by it coming in contact with paper or wood, which is acidic.  As a quilter, I have heard that spots can be successfully removed from washable fabric by soaking in Oxyclean.  A good way to store fabric items is in a pillowcase, never in plastic bags or in a gift box or cedar chest.  Hope this helps.
Kate
kate

Lillian Leyenaar

Cleaning old cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 10:44:25 AM »
I would like ideas on how to get brown spots out of OLD material--like tablecloths, linens, antique samplers, ring-bearer pillow from 32 years ago, etc.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most popular search engine?:
Enter the last three numbers in d71324gh: