The Nature In Us
Our Photo Gallery
Silver Shield Aqua Sol
Boomerang Air Sanitizer
The Herbs Place Health News

How To Make Home Made Fire Place Logs
The Frugal Life Forum
October 24, 2014, 04:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How To Make Home Made Fire Place Logs  (Read 40976 times)

tomd7735

Re: How To Make Home Made Fire Place Logs
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »

I use a 3/4" pipe or broom handle as the center. Lay out an unfolded section internal of the fold up, start rolling tightly. When there is still about 6" left sticking out from under the roll, layer another unfolded section on top of the piece sticking and continue this way until it's as thick a log as you want. I use twine to tie it up in three (thirds) places on the roll. Less expensive than tape.  
Oh, and slide out the pipe when you're done...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:35:26 PM by tomd7735 »

KMcNitt53

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »

Hello - we make newspaper logs simply by rolling the newspaper as suggested below, but then wrapping them with masking tape around the middle to hold them together.  No looking for wire to hold them closed or having to sift the wire or can ends out of the ash after they burn.
We used to have a roller - it rolled them tighter but was difficult to get the rolled log off the roller.
We also have tried wetting them but the drying process was so long that we didn't have places to store a signifcant number of logs during the process.
Hope this information helps

CSinbad

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 06:25:53 PM »

Don't forget to have your chimney swept regularly.  Especially at the beginning of the heating season.  Birds build nest in them sometimes.  Plus newspaper and Pine can create a lot of creosote, which is flammable.  So it wouldn't hurt to do it at least midseason as well.  Check with your local fire department for more information.

trudyu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 05:02:27 PM »

oh ... I thought I would add that I have not had any problem with the unsoaked logs coming apart when they are burning. There have been no incidents of burning bits of paper floating up or anything.

trudyu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 04:59:39 PM »

I use newspaper logs in conjunction with wood during the winter. I used the article form the TightwadGazette
as my source. Based on information I found there I simply make logs by rolling about 2" of plain newspaper (no colored pages) into as tight a roll as possible and secure with wire. The article indicates there is little difference between soaked and unsoaked logs and the soaked ones can take up to 3 months to dry. Where I live wet newspaper would probably decompose in that period of time. I find that it is pretty convenient to simply roll a log or two each Sunday. The only problem I've run into is finding enough metal coat hangers to make the fasteners. I don't send much to the cleaners  and have been using the same plastic hangers for years. People at work think I am crazy when I beg for wire hangers!

InAlabama

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 08:46:45 PM »

Oh and there is also a machine called a Newspaper Log Roller.
You can find where to purchase them by doing a search on a good search engine such as Google or alltheweb.com.  I have also seen them on Ebay. :)

InAlabama

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 08:43:03 PM »

Here are instructions for making newspaper logs from Hints From Heloise
First, make a 1-inch stack of newspapers (do not use colored or glossy advertisements), being sure to alternate the folded sides of each newspaper section. Roll the stack tightly, then slip a can with ends removed around it and push the can to the middle of the roll to hold it together.

Next, wet the rolled newspaper logs with some water, then let them dry thoroughly. FYI: This is very important, since the wetting/drying process helps compress the ``logs,'' which will help them stay together better when burning.

After the newspaper log has been burned, use caution -- let the can cool completely, or use a pair of tongs to remove it.

mick s

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 09:49:35 AM »

I remember reading about rolling bunches of newspapers really tight, tying with wire, soking them and letting them dry out to use as a log. I think it was in one of the tightwad gazette books.

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
    • View Profile
How To Make Home Made Fire Place Logs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 03:45:57 PM »

Q.  I recall having seen in the past (when I didn't need it) a 'recipe' for
home-made fireplace logs.  Anyone have any tried and true ideas? Thanks.
Karen
Pages: [1]

+ Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.
Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Name of site? Hint: thefrugalli*e: