Skip to content
Home » smelly basement » Re: Re: smelly basement

Re: Re: smelly basement


    It would help if you would say what kind of smell it is, and where you think it is coming from. You said you poured water; is it coming from the drain or the sump pump well?

    I have talked to contractors about a house (thank goodness I don't live in it!) that reeks of mold, cigarette smoke and cat urine. The contractors say they would remove everything, wash everything with Super Clorox (whatever that is), and paint over wood subfloors with Kilz. If there is carpet it must come out. Wallboard may need to come out, though I would check if it is possible to paint that with Kilz.

    Mold is a big deal. There are liability issues with some kinds of black mold, you have to disclose it to a buyer. Some kinds of black mold are dangerous though that's controversial. You could have a professional test to find out what kind you have.

    There are professional mold removal companies. I got a rough estimate of $10,000 to treat the mold in this house.

    If the smell is like stagnant water, I'd keep pouring Clorox down that drain.