Skip to content
Home » Topics » appliance Painting

appliance Painting

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by imported_admin.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    imported_ronjc
    Participant

I want to know how successful I might be at painting a refridgerator that has some rust spots on the sides.  Do I need to sand it first?  How long do you think it might last.
      Thanks.
      R.

Anonymous

My husband and I have painted every kind of appliance except a stove, and with amazingly good results.  When we’ve had rust spots, we’ve sanded them down until smooth to the touch, then painted with some anti-rust paint like you use to prime outdoor furniture (available in spray cans at the home improvement stores).  Be sure to use spray appliance paint, also available at the home improvement places.  The main thing is to not get in a hurry.  Make even strokes with the paint, and don’t get too close–it’ll be drippy if you do.  It’s better to do lots of coats than one heavy one.  BIG TIP:  Make sure the appliance is clean and dustfree, and that you apply it away from the wind.  The only less-than-successful effort was done in the wind, and we didn’t get a smooth coat.  Hope it goes well!

imported_InAlabama
        Participant

I have not painted appliances, but I have painted a couple of metal cabinets, a mail, box, a wheel barrow, and other outdoor items.
          One thing that I swear by is a product called “Rust converter.”   You sand off the loose rust and then apply the converter.  It literally changes any remaining rust to a more stable substance. Then you just paint over it.  I have had more luck with rehabilitating rusty objects since discovering this stuff.

imported_admin
          Participant

I’ve been there and done that and here’s my suggestion.  I painted an antique refrigerator coppertone (originally white) and it lasted for many years.  I used epoxy paint for the coppertone color.  

First remove the rust as much as possible.  A good application of grease (petroleum jelly, or lard) then rub with salt and a rag.  Sand lightly with a light sandpaper or a 0000 brillo pad.  Now clean well and dry thoroughly.  Set the refrigerator on a large dropcloth or a couple of layers of newspapers.  Tape the gasket with masking tape.  Use rustoleum for a base coat and 2 coats is better than one.  When that has dried apply fininshing coat and you will be proud of your new looking refrigerator.  I’ve used spray paints (also rustoleum brands) for several applications on metal and they are very nice in appearance and protective of further rusting.  One landlord wrote me a glowing letter of reference because I used the above techniques to “imporve his property) on metal kitchen cabinets.  Good Luck.  Gigi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.