Skip to content
Home » Topics » kitchen cabnets

kitchen cabnets

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I had little bugs get into some bags of dry mixes in my kitchen cabnets, I have sprayed them, but they still seem to come back. what can Iuse to get rid of them,I do not want to use anymore sprays and I am afraid they will also get into my pantry, they share a wall, I don’t know if they will try to travel  through it or not. I have thrown away all dry goods that are not in sealed containers or in original unopened bags. I remember this question came up a while back but at that time I didn’t have the problem so didn’t really pay thet much attention to the answer, just my luck. thank you for any and all help

imported_jeaneintexas
      Participant

Many of the kitchen bugs do not like bay leaves.
        I stopped the problem by getting rid of all dry
        mixes,even the unopened ones since I had
        been told some of those little critters can get in
        even closed packages.  Then I put some bay
        leaves on each shelf.  And I put 1  opened
        box of bay leaves each on 2 shelves.  In a
        very short time-the bugs were gone and I
        haven’t had a problem since.  It worked for
        me and I hope it will work for you.  Good
        luck.

Jeane in Texas

imported_diana
        Participant

When I discovered that problem I started storing dry goods in the freezer for 2-4 weeks. It works. I’ve also heard of the bay leaf treatment and am going to try it too!

Diana n Texas 2 ;)

imported_CSinbad
          Participant

Wash all of your cabinets inside and out.  This will remove a lot of the eggs.  Store all pasta, flour and the like in sealed  containers that don’t let air inside.  Freeze all of these things when you purchase them to kill any of the moths that may be inside. It takes at least 2 weeks to kill off all the eggs that hatch.  You must wash the shelves every day. Use a light bleach solution then rinse throughly and make sure they don’t have water or food sources.  I had them once all summer I killed them regularly but they got into some dog food and lived off of that.  I finally got rid of all food sources and and then used long lasting bug spray to get rid of them.    I didn’t know about these other methods at the time.

imported_anniemawee
            Participant

When I clean my cabinets out I always use a vinegar and water mixture and dry well.  Then I too use the bay leaf method – Mom always did it so of course I do too and its always worked.  I don’t do the freeze product thing – I have heard of it but I think  :o ewww then i got dead mealy worms (or whatever they are) in there!  What I do is – I have airtight canisters for flour and such when I buy more I open the package and look it over before I add to container.  I know someone who does this same thing but if she finds some she takes it back to the store with her receipt and gets a refund.

imported_rgraceh
              Participant

I also had “critters” weavels in my dry stuff in my pantry.  I cleaned out my pantry completely, washed down the shelves with bleach water, and put the good dry stuff in plastic containers and mix packages in baggies.  Then I put whole cloves on the shelves and in the buckets where my mix packages are and now the weavels are gone.  It does take a while, but it is worth it.  I had never had them, but when we moved into our house, the previous owner left me a present (one among many.)  Good luck. :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.