Skip to content
Home » Topics » Pesky Blackberries

Pesky Blackberries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    imported_goldenlox
    Participant

Does anyone have any ideas for a safe and nontoxic way to get rid of them? ??? I have pulled a ton out but they keep coming back!! :o  I was thinking of using the recipe mentioned earlier,would that work? *Thanks* :-*

imported_cr
      Participant

If your neighbors have BB’s you will not get rid of them.
        You could try this
        1 gallon vinegar
        1 lb table salt
        1/2 c dish soap.
        Mix all and spray on the BB’s.

imported_CSinbad
        Participant

Pour salt on the plants then dig out all the roots you can. ÝPour salt water over what is left. ÝThen more plain salt. ÝThat might kill them especially in the summer. ÝGood Luck.

Anonymous

One thing about the salt remedy mentioned above.  Use care that it is an area out of the way.  The salt will kill ALL the plants in the area.  And it will make that spot on heck of a mud pit.

imported_GreywolfHunting
            Participant

Pregunta? (little question, here…)

How long does salt remain in the soil? I mean- it should wash/leach out over time, but roughly how long a time would that be given average soil conditions? ::)

I’ve considered using salt on some serious stubborn nuisance growth around my place, but I really would like it to be green again one day…

imported_Mibbles
              Participant

You might also try offering the plants free on a local community bulletin board, or conacting a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculure) or locally sponsored organic garden – perhaps industrious locals would be happy to dig them out FOR you!  After all, blackberries sell for plenty of money per lb. :D

imported_refuge821
                Participant

I used salt in an area that I never wanted to have anything growing.  It’s only about 3′ square but a determined weed was impossible to keep out.  Nothing is growing there now and it’s been a year and a half.  I would think that eventually it will “wash away” and the soil will again be able to support plant life.

imported_ctack2
                  Participant

You could dig them up next spring and send them to me! ;D
                    Carol B

imported_RobinS
                    Participant

The birds in my property would love to have those blackberries!

imported_admin
                      Participant

We had a small area right off the stoop to our pedestrian door at the garage that grew a bunch of different stuff.  We don’t use chemicals and I got weary of pulling every few days.  I dumped salt over a 3×3 area and it took care of it.  That was two years ago and it’s still not growing anything there.  We have mulch over it, as we did before, and nothing is coming through for a bit over two years.

imported_Old_Knitter
                        Participant

My husband and I are about to plant a hedge row of blackberries….reading this post has made me a little nervous.  Are they a problem?

imported_RobinS
                          Participant

I think that your wildlife would love them….I would say since they get wild looking, you would want to put them where it isn’t so important that it be neatly trimmed.  My parents put them in just for the wildlife and they have really enjoyed watching the birds and squirrels enjoy them.

imported_Laurie58
                            Participant

Blackberries are excellent medicine plants for stomach cramps, or intestinal cramps, for example. I use a  couple of leaves to a half cup of water and take for this purpose.  So, they do have some excellent uses.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.