Removal of lead-based paint is a serious matter. I would not suggest you do this work yourself. When intact, lead-based paint in itself is not dangerous, the lead is considered encapsulated. However, when you try to remove the paint from a surface, you create lead-paint chips and lead-paint dust, and that is hazardous to yourself and the people around you, especially children.
When lead is ingested or inhaled, it can have serious health effects, and in small children may even be fatal. See the US EPA’s website on lead hazards at http://www.epa.gov/lead/ for more info. Good luck.