- This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 7 months ago by imported_marseego.
April 25, 2003 at 2:38 pm #19844imported_melissa2613Participant
:-[ please help me….
my house stinks so badly,
it is from my basement, i have added water to my drain, and it still stinks really badly. i have been burning candles to cover the smell up.. i need to get rid of the smell….
is this harmful to my family , please let me knowMay 23, 2003 at 2:14 am #20777imported_CSinbadParticipant
If the smell is mold then yes. ÝIf it’s something else then maybe it is harmful. ÝBurning candles can be harmful depending on what is in the candle that creates the nice smell. ÝCheck the web on what is harmful in a candle. ÝIf you can’t determine what the smell is then call your local health hotline. Maybe someone there will be able to identify the odor. ÝOr maybe someone who seals basements so water doesn’t get in might be able to help. ÝMay 27, 2003 at 6:57 pm #20785Anonymous
Try setting cups or bowls of fresh not cooked coffee grounds all over your house be careful if you have pets or kids place there were they can not get to them this helps a lotMay 27, 2003 at 7:09 pm #20786imported_FrugalSimplicityParticipant
If you have some small containers, such a small margarine bowls, fill them about half full of baking soda and place them all around the area. The bigger the area, the more bowls you’ll need to use. Replace the baking soda every two to three days or as needed, until the odor is gone.
You’ll also need to find the source of the odor, because as much as the baking soda will remove it, it’ll just keep coming back until the source is removed or corrected.
Hope this helps…..
Cindy :) :) :)
http://www.frugalsimplicity.comMay 27, 2003 at 9:42 pm #20789Anonymous
About the smelly basement/house–try putting coffee beans in a spare can with no lid to be left in your basement and in hide away places on the other floors. Good luck.June 19, 2003 at 5:19 pm #20821imported_Rev_MomParticipant
After determining where the moisture is coming from (and it is probably stale or stagnate moisture causing the odor), I’d check to see where the odor itself is coming from – boxes stored in basement, or something that has died or spoiled down there. :-[
Then, use clorox or some other good disinfectant liberally – and ventelate the basement for a day or two. Sometimes a small fan in the basement window will help. We used this not long ago at a house we have been reclaiming, and it worked!November 13, 2003 at 10:50 pm #20939imported_crParticipant
Is there a vent down there that needs water?
Is there a crack in a waste pipe?
Is this a problem that just came up or has it been smelly forever?October 8, 2008 at 12:35 am #21733imported_ryleeParticipant
i can't remember what site i got this tip from but i tried it and it works great. :)
take an onion and cut it in half and put half in your basement. i put half on one side and half on the other. leave it for 24 hrs. and if you can stand the smell of the onion it will take away all the yuk smells.
it really worked. my basement had a funk to it that i couldn't get rid of no matter what i tried, but this worked. i left it down there for about 3 days and it's been about 3 months since then and it still doesn't smell.October 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm #21735imported_eileenParticipant
It would help if you would say what kind of smell it is, and where you think it is coming from. You said you poured water; is it coming from the drain or the sump pump well?
I have talked to contractors about a house (thank goodness I don't live in it!) that reeks of mold, cigarette smoke and cat urine. The contractors say they would remove everything, wash everything with Super Clorox (whatever that is), and paint over wood subfloors with Kilz. If there is carpet it must come out. Wallboard may need to come out, though I would check if it is possible to paint that with Kilz.
Mold is a big deal. There are liability issues with some kinds of black mold, you have to disclose it to a buyer. Some kinds of black mold are dangerous though that's controversial. You could have a professional test to find out what kind you have.
There are professional mold removal companies. I got a rough estimate of $10,000 to treat the mold in this house.
If the smell is like stagnant water, I'd keep pouring Clorox down that drain.October 16, 2008 at 1:46 pm #21736imported_eileenParticipant
If the smell is from dampness, dry the basement up.
A dehumidifier is not expensive. You have to empty it when it is full of water or it will stop running. The water is soft like rainwater and great for watering plants. We empty our dehumidifier into a watering can.
If the dampness is due to foundation problems, those need to be fixed. The ultimate solution is to dig all the way around the house and fill in with pea gravel next to the basement walls. That's not for the faint-hearted either; we got another estimate of $10,000 to shore up sagging basement walls and put the pea gravel all around the outer walls.October 16, 2008 at 2:34 pm #21739imported_marseegoParticipant
I have a similar problem in my detached garage. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get that smell out of clothing that has been stored there. Even after washing in regular detergent the smell remains. Help!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.