Skip to content
Home » Topics » Web Worms

Web Worms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Spring is on it’s way and so are Web Worms, more comonly known as tent catapillars. They get up high in out trees where we can not get them with spray. Can any one tell me how to prevent them. Is there something I can paint the trees with or put on the grownd to discourage them? Please send e-mail to rosey@hypertech .net

imported_InAlabama
      Participant

Hello,

I noticed that no one had replied to the webworm question.  I don’t have a cure but a suggestion.

You might try contact  the Agricultural Extension Service in your county.  If you cannot find them in the phone book try calling the county courthouse.  If they are not actually located in the courthouse, the county swithboard should have their number.  They are a wealth of free advice.

imported_Mary_L
        Participant

Tent caterpillars are a nuisance. Now, while the weather is still cool and the trees are not leafed out, you can find the egg masses and destroy them. They look like brown, shiny or crusty tobacco spittle (yeah, gross) that has solidified in a blob on the limb of the tree. If you have a few trees that you really don’t want the worms in (such as your apple trees or young decorative trees), you can examine the branches and remove them, just scrape into a jar of soapy water or something.

That’s obviously a fairly time-consuming process. :P

Bt (bacillus thuringiensis) will kill the caterpillars. This is available in a powdered form or a liquid form, from suppliers who sell organic gardening supplies. Bt is a naturally-occurring bacteria which you apply (spray or dust) to your plants. It gives caterpillars severe stomach cramps; they stop eating immediately and soon die. It does not affect beneficial insects because they do not eat the foliage. (It WILL, however, also kill other worm-type larvae that you may not want to kill, such as butterfly caterpillars, so keep that in mind.)

imported_CSinbad
          Participant

Try spraying one branch with a solution of water, rubbing alcohol and dish soap. This should kill the eggs by drying them out.  But it could damage your trees.  (I’m not an expert.)  That’s why I recommend only one branch at first.  

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.